Problem: Your junior technician left the private key for your Meraki in the chat
Solution: Delete it, reset it and have them send a trace instead
Traceless is an intuitive security platform that helps you rapidly identify remote users and employees, keep secrets out of insecure chat and email, and proactively monitor your comms infrastructure.
Traceless allows you to:
- Send a secret to someone in about 5 seconds leaving nothing behind
- Keep a paper trail of the interaction
- 2Factor the secret if necessary
Leaving unencrypted secrets at rest in Slack or Teams can have severe consequences and pose big risks to your organization’s security. Here are three key reasons why it’s a bad idea to leave unencrypted secrets in Slack:
- Giving hackers a key to locked door: Leaving sensitive data, such as passwords, API keys, or confidential documents, within Slack pollutes your communications infrastructure. If a malicious actor gains access to a Slack workspace, they can easily search for and retrieve these keys to systems. After gaining access they can retrieve more valuable data, install malware, or use that access as a foothold for further gain.
- Exposure to insider threats: Unfortunately, employees or contractors with malicious intent can also exploit secrets left in Slack. Without proper data management, anyone with access to the workspace can find these keys. It’s crucial to implement tools to mitigate the risks associated with insider threats and ensure that only authorized individuals can view and use sensitive data.
- Compliance and regulatory risk: Leaving unencrypted secrets in Slack may violate industry-specific regulations and compliance requirements for your company. Many regulatory frameworks, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), mandate the protection of sensitive data through encryption and secure storage practices. Failure to comply with these regulations can result in legal consequences, financial penalties, and damage to the organization’s reputation
Risks caused by leaving unencrypted secrets in Slack vanish if you don’t have any sensitive data stored there in the first place.
One effective approach to achieving this is by utilizing one-time links instead of sharing sensitive information directly within the platform. This leaves a paper trail of the exchange without leaving the sensitive data to be seen by unintended viewers.
Traceless offers several features in Slack and setting up your integration takes 10 minutes. Reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in chatting with us.